Monday, May 11, 2015

Closing thoughts to an unforgettable college experience

I haven't yet fully processed the fact that my time here as a UNK student athlete has come to a close. I finished my last final on Wednesday and immediately left to Chicago to hopefully run a last chance national qualifying time in the steeplechase again this year. I knew I would be missing my own graduation ceremony in order to do this. While my fellow graduates were to be walking across the stage to receive that "expensive piece of paper" I would be going on a shakeloose run to prepare for my race later that night.

The thought of missing commencement to race again in a Loper jersey was an extremely simple and easy decision. I couldn't even imagine foregoing the opportunity to toe the line one more time to punch a ticket to the big dance. Turns out I came up short this time. However...I can say without a doubt that I have no regrets, reservations, or second thoughts on any decisions I have made throughout my collegiate career. I am where I am because of each one of my complex choices and various paths I have ventured down.

It's not the trips to nationals, medals, trophies, GPA, or diploma that I will cling to following this college experience. What I WILL hold close to my heart are the relationships I have built with a number of people that is far too many to be individually recognized. A particularly fond memory/feeling I will always hold dearly is that of the relationship I have with my UNK XC/Track team and our coach. Coach Bonsall has sent our team this video a few times... reminding us of what's important, namely, the journey of getting better, together. I will always get goosebumps thinking about this while never forgetting the lessons I have learned through the countless hours of studying, practicing, traveling, racing, winning, losing, and bonding with you people. You know who you are.

Much love.




No comments:

Post a Comment